We've decided to take advantage of better light in the summer and make white green chili again for photographs.
Looks better now, I guess?
I used chicken breasts this time around, but you know, I think I'll give ground turkey another chance and do a white-green chili with turkey the next time.
The original post with more-or-less step-by-step photographs:
White / Green Chicken Chili
Makes 6 servings
2 tbsp vegetable oil
6 chicken legs
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Anaheim peppers, diced
1 serrano chili pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano (Mediterranean or Mexican is fine)
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
4 whole cloves
2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp cilantro, minced
flour tortillas (or corn tortillas)
various accompaniments (see below)
1. Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a skillet. Brown chicken legs.
2. Take out and set aside chicken legs. Drain excess oil.
3. Add onions.
4. When onions are translucent, add ground cumin and oregano and cook with onions until lightly brown.
5. Add garlic. When fragrant, add the Anaheim peppers, serrano and jalapeño peppers.
6. Add the cannellini beans.
7. Add chicken stock.
8. Put back the chicken legs and add the thyme, bay leaf and cloves.
9. Simmer until chicken legs are tender, about 35-45 minutes.
10. If desired, debone chicken legs and put back the shredded chicken meat into the pan.
11. Stir in the chopped cilantro.
12. Serve with flour tortillas warmed up.
13. Other garnishes to include: queso fresco, sliced radishes, more jalapeños, sliced avocados, lime wedges. (Or, of course, our Lemon Feta Dip.)